CHAT: Chile

Okay, on to Chile. I've spent the past week looking at José Moreno Benavente, the Chilean master engraver. When doing so, one immediately stumbles upon the books that the Chilean stamp printers Casa de Moneda issue every decade, entitled Memoria. These books deal with all aspects of the printing firm and the great thing is that they're very proud of their stamps and their engravers and usually include special sheets with engravings.

I managed to get a few from the Memoria book dealing with 1964-1973. They were all engraved by Moreno Benavente. The first one is one with a familiar and often used pattern: a selection of previously issued stamps.


What is special about this one is that it also includes (top right) an unfinished die for a stamp commemorating Francisco de Miranda. The stamps was never issued.

The other two sheets are special engravings made to mark the death and birth anniversaries of Andrés Bello and Cardinal Caro respectively.


The engravings are based on the actual stamp designs issued at the time.


I'm trying to get the stamps to match these sheets, but so far haven't got any of them in, so I can't show you these yet. But I will at a future date. What I found was that every time I locate one of the stamps, I find there's more special sheets to go with these stamps or sets, so eventually this could turn into quite a reasonably sized collection. Obviously, Moreno Benavente was the printer's main engraver for quite some time as it seems almost every special sheet issued has been engraved by him.

To be continued!
:-)
Adrian