Schirnbock's exhibition label

In the past few days I've returned to Ferdinand Schirnböck, to see whether I could tie up some loose ends, but I find that with each item I manage to get hold of, my want list tends to grow rather than shrink. The man has made so many fine engravings that it's hard to stop collecting them. And it's especially amazing when you learn that during the latter years of his life, while still actively engraving, he lost the sight in one eye!


When reading up on him I noticed that almost every time Schirnböck is praised for his work on an exhibition label produced in 1911. The label promotes an international philatelic exposition held in Vienna in 1911. The label depicts the profile of a crowned woman.

I've managed to snap up a nice little lot of those, in ten different colours. As far as I have been able to find out, this may well be the total number of colours, so that's at least one item off my list!


The set reminds me very much of a similar exhibition label engraved in 1949 by Charles Mazelin. I've shown those before HERE (scroll down a bit). These too were printed in various colours (twelve to be precise), one for each day of the exhibition. I'm not sure, though, whether the ten colours of the Schirnböck label were also issued on the various days of the exhibition which was held from 7 to 17 September.


Apparently, there is an 176 page book on the exhibition and also a 16 page brochure. I might fancy trying to get one of these, to see if it sheds any more light on this gorgeous label. 

Unless of course one of you has a copy of one of those on their bookshelves, then I'd love to hear from you!

:-)
Adrian

Comments