They who create our stamps

It always pays to google a lot and search for anything stamp or engraver related, because you always end up with something surprising and interesting. And that's how I came across a series of little booklets, produced in France in the 1950s, each with a selection of little biographies of stamp designers and engravers.

The booklets are called 'Ceux qui créent nos timbres'  and were published by 'Le Monde des Philatélistes'. I am showing you today volume IV, but I believe there may well have been six, although I haven't found out yet exactly how many there were.


This volume IV contains a lot of well-known names, such as Jules Piel (one of my favourites) and Louis-Eugène Mouchon. But what's so absolutely fantastic about these booklets, is that they include an original engraving made especially for these booklets by one of the engravers included in it. This Volume IV, published in 1957,  has an engraving by René Cottet, called 'Notre-Dame de Paris'. Isn't it stunning?


I have two more booklets from this series which I'll show you at a later date. I'm of course hoping to complete the series so if anyone knowns how many were published eventually, I'd be happy to know.

In the meantime I'm creating a new label, called 'Books', so that with one click on the label on the right-hand side of the site, you get all the information about any books which are of interest to those interested in stamp engravers. I don't have that many yet so any suggestions are of course always welcome!

Also, having read so often about people being warned not to click on links in websites, I have decided to no longer include my links in the actual text, but will include them at the end of it and make them both clickable and copyable. They're mainly all to other pages in this same site, but still.

:-)
Adrian

LINKS:

JULES PIEL: http://stampengravers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/piel-jules.html

RENE COTTET: http://stampengravers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/cottet-r.html

Comments

  1. Hi Adrian,

    Love your blog - it's one of the key stamp blogs in my 'Stamps' RSS Stream. And it's the first thing I look at every morning. Even though most of what comes through the feed is your placeholder entries for engravers, I love the posts with pictures and your longer essays are very interesting.

    However, I can't for the life of me understand what warnings you're reading about including links in your blog text. That's one of the foundations of the 'web' and the real powers of the medium. I know there's that Australian stamp fellow that like to put the fear into people to only ever trust him and his forums, but I don't know of any people who really understand the power of the internet who would warn against linking.

    I understand phishing. I get how you should be wary of clicking on links from unanticipated *emails*. But this is your blog. You're a trusted source. Go ahead and link! Link to your posts and to others. Show us the path to the good stuff.

    Besides, you can just as easily mess up the links at the bottom of the post too. You can have link text say one thing and the actual link be another, even at the bottom of your site. So may as well give the link some context and put them back in your posts!

    Best wishes,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      Thanks very much for your positive words about my blog. It's a labour of love but a real slog as well, so it's so fantastic to read that other people actually enjoy it!
      Yes, I know that at the moment it's still very much a case of entering 'boring' data but the end of that is nearing slowly but surely and then I can focus more on interesting info and more 'chats' and tidbits and pictures and videos and who know what.
      Thanks also for the clarification with regard to links. I may well have mixed up phishing links in emails with ordinary links in websites and just wanted to be better safe than sorry.
      But your reasoning is convincing so if I don't hear anything to the contrary, I'll get back to normal in the following posts.

      Delete
  2. most of the stamps designed by decaris appear to have used the same lettering style ( I guess we'd call it a font nowadays). Is this significant re ; the above, and does the font have a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stamperelaine. First of all thanks for reading my blog! Always great to hear from fellow enthusiasts. Yes, Decaris did have a very distinct style, not just in lettertype but in his whole design, which makes his work almost instantly recognisable. It helped of course that he was allowed to design his stamps as well, rather than 'just' engrave them. I don't think his 'font' was ever named though, but maybe some Decaris expert reading this will have more to say on the subject?

      Delete

Post a Comment